Wednesday, March 4, 2009

2007 August-November Dr. Tint Swe’s activities during Saffron Uprising in Burma

Dr. Tint Swe’s activities during Saffron Uprising in Burma
August-November 2007

1. Mobilization of Burmese community:
• General public
• Core group discussion
• Students and youth
• Women groups
• Religious groups
• Literary individuals

2. Writing in the India-based websites
• SAAG http://www.saag.org/
• Burma Digest http://tayzathuria.org.uk/
• Intelligence Brief http://intelligencebrief.net/news.htm
• Feedbacks to newspapers
3. Media strategy
• Aljezeera TV x 4 times
• BBC TV, London x 3 times
• Sky News TV, London x 2 times
• Indian TV
i. Times India x 1 time
ii. CNBC x 1 time
• French paper
• Indian papers
• Burmese radios: VOA, BBC, RFA, DVB
4. Meeting with diplomats
• British
• Germany
• Czech
5. Meeting with Indian political parties
• Leader of Opposition
• Former minister and former Prime Minister
• BJP/RSS
• All India Forward Bloc
• JDU
5. Visits outside Delhi
• Bombay/Pune
• Amritsar
• Nagpur/Chennai
• Calcutta

12-7-07
My first paper Burma/Myanmar: The Role of India and China was published SAAG website.

27-7-07
My second paper Burma/Myanmar: Its Strategic importance was published at SAAG website.

3-8-07
I've met with Jaswant Singh, leader of opposition at his office in the Rajya Sabha (Upper House).

7-8-08
We have demonstration to mark 19th anniversary of 8888. Four buses full of demonstrators showed up.

15-8-07
General meeting was called to seek support for the letter of 92 MPs to UNSG.

18-8-07
I spoke at Convention for restoration of democracy in Burma organized by George Fernandes, former defense minister

21-8-07
We have a meeting of a group of people to discuss to stage demo on 23 in support of inside movement.

22-8-07
I called meeting inviting all groups.

23-8-07
We staged large demo in support of inside-Burma movement with 4-bus full of participants. After that review meeting was held at NCGUB office. I can claim that we have regained unity among all of us. It took 2 years after NLD/LA problem.

27-8-07
I called all Burmese Church leaders and discussed for all-Church prayers for the release of inside prisoners. All 13 Churches participated.

28-8-08
I have meeting with SYCB

29-8-07
At 11 AM in our office, I called all 17 women groups and discussed how to support the inside movement.
At 4 PM all groups meeting was held at our office and decided to stage demonstration sponsored by SYCB.

31-8-07
At our office we have close door meeting with U Naing Han Thar (NMSP) with UTN, UTS, KMM, DZWA, UTP, ZDL, KZN and I.

1-9-07
Weekly news discussion was held.

2-9-07
Live chat with Sophie Besse, French media at http://forums.nouvelobs.com/1177/Tint_Swe.html

28-9-07
I gave TV interview to BBC World Television in London.

28th - 30th September 2007
I participated in and spoke at Democracy in Asia, organized by CSDS at India International Centre

6-10-07
Demonstration was attended by 2-bus full of Burmese
In the evening Indian NGOs and we had candle light vigil at India Gate.

8-10-07
I sent my official objection to FES. I received the reply on 20-10-07.

12-10-07
Meeting with NDA (BJP/RSS) at 5 PM at former BJP chief's house

15-10-07
In Mumbai at 3 PM we had press conference and at 6 PM we had public meeting.

16-10-07
We went to Pune. We had press conference at 3 PM and public meeting at 6 PM.

18-10-07
We have a meeting of Church and Christian Leaders on situation in Burma jointly organized by NCCI and CNI at CNI Bhawan, New Delhi.

22-10-07
I visited Heinrich Böll Foundation and discussed with Dr. Michael Köberlein.

23-10-07
We have demo on the visit of Gambari.
I spoke at Burma program at Kamala Nehru University, Delhi

24-10-07
I spoke at Seminar on 'Burma Uprising; Trans-nationalization of Youth Movement in St Stephens College, New Delhi organized by Amnesty International India and Students Union of St. Stephens College

26-17 October 2007
We participated in the South Asia People's Conclave at Amritsar, India

29-10-07
I spoke at Seminar at Kirorimal College Jointly organized by Parivartan, the Gender Forum and the Burma Solidarity

30-10-07
I spoke at Seminar in JNU, # 203 and Chaired by Prof. GN Jah, School of International Studies (SIS)

31-10-07
I spoke at Seminar at Lady Sri Ram College, Auditorium

2-11-07
Ms Paminder, Campaigner - India team, Amnesty International, London visited my office and we talked about how to press on Indian government.
Dr. Tint Swe was invited to International Encyclopedia of Protest and Revolution:

3-11-07
I participated in felicitation for His Holiness on receiving Congressional Gold medal.

6-11-07
Mr. R Upadhyay, consultant, South Asia Analysis Group visited my office as he wanted to write on Burmese Muslims.

7-11-07
The SEMINAR magazine requested me to write in the next issue.
I visited Dr. Annand Kumar, JNU.
Weekly Situation briefing

13-11-07: JNU, New Delhi
Satyagraha Centenary International Conference
His Holiness the Dalai Lama will inaugurate the Conference on the 13-11-07 at the JNU and will also release the 2008 calendar with portrait of Aung San Suu Kyi

16-11-07:
I spoke at Major Nonviolent Movements in the Globe held at Gandhi Peace Foundation, New Delhi

17th –20th November:
I sent 2 students to Bheetiharwa of Champaran, Bihar State

12-11-07
We have dinner at Russian cultural centre hosted by SAFPI in honor of Nepali delegates

13-11-07
We participated in inauguration of Satyagraha Centenary International Conference.
His Holiness released Free DASSK poster and 2008 calendar. Bhadoria and I presented him.

15-11-07
I spoke at plenary session of Satyagraha Centenary International Conference.

16-11-07
We participated in Satyagraha Centenary International Conference held at Gandhi Peace Foundation.
I sent two students to Bheetiharwa, Champaran, Bihar, the second part of Satyagraha Centenary International Conference.

17-11-07
I have weekly news discussion

19-11-07
Five of us, (UPWR, UTS, DZWA, KMM and I) met with Director General of Czech foreign ministry.

23-11-07
I met with Simon at UK embassy. We discuss on the situation deeply.

24-11-07
Two Chinese women (Janice Cheung from the world needs truth, compassion and forbearance and Shu-Hucy Liaw from source of hope radio network Inc.) visited our office and talked about human rights Olympic torch march in January 2008 and about Furlong Gong.

28-11-07
I spoke at RTM Nagpur University
Then I spoke at BT Institute of Social Works
In the evening I spoke at Inter-religious Peace Initiative organized by Dr. John. Those organizations and individuals extended support to our cause: Women Initiative League for Peace and Freedom, YMCA, Student Christian Movement, Students of Nagpur College of Social Work, All India Peace and Solidarity Organization, Nagpur University Law College

29-11-07
I spoke at Dr. Ambedkar College and Mahabank Staff Employment Institute

30-11-07
I spoke at Madras University academic staff
I spoke at Loyola College

1-12-07
I spoke at Observer Research Foundation (ORF)

4-12-07
I spoke at Peace Education for all in India held at Gandhi Bhavan in DU.

5-12-07
Indian Society of Authors (INSA) will organize the literary evening on Burma at India International Centre (IIC), New Delhi and Burmese pro-democracy activists will read our literary pieces

8-12-07
I will give interview to a journal

10-12-07
I will attend and speak in Calcutta on the invitation of CPI (ML) party

No comments:

Post a Comment